Elijah McClain was a 23-year-old innocent black man killed by Colorado police. Recently, a peaceful protest and vigil in his honor was violently interrupted by a swarm of officers. If you can’t take to the streets but want bring Elijah justice, here are a few things to know about his death and a few things to do about it.
What to Know
1. August 24th, 2019, Elijah McClain was walking back home from the convenience store listening to music and dancing. Someone passing him by called the police on him, also mentioning that Elijah didn’t seem to be a danger.
2.When the police arrived, they tried to stop him from walking. As Elijah resisted and asked them to let him go, the situation escalated, and he was tackled to the ground.
3.One of the officers put Elijah in a choke hold on the ground and Elijah cried, “Ouch, that really hurts. I’m so sorry. I don’t have a gun. I can’t breathe. I have my ID right here.”
4.Once an officer noticed another officer’s body camera, he advised him to move it. The officers handcuffed Elijah and medics sedated him by injecting him with ketamine.
5.Elijah had two heart attacks on the way to the hospital and was pronounced brain dead August 30, 2019. No one at the scene of the crime was charged.
What to Do
Demanding justice directly is most effective. Don’t be afraid to use your voice. You never know how powerful your words can be.
- 303-866-2471 CO Governor Jared Polis
- 303-739-7015 Mayor of Aurora Mike Coffman
- 303-659-7720 DA Dave Young
- 303-654-3550 District Chief Judge Emily E. Anderson
- 303-739-6014 Deputy City Attorney Nancy Rodgers
- 303-870-9078 Aurora City Attorney Daniel L. Brotzman
2.Email AND Mail
Emails have supposedly been filtered and sent to spam. In addition to sending virtual demands for justice, also consider physical letters. Demand charges to be brought against the officers who killed Elijah with a template and simply duplicate it.
Mayor Mike Coffman
- Aurora Municipal Center Mayor Mike Coffman 15151 E. Alameda Parkway Aurora CO 80012
- 1000 Judicial Drive Brighton, CO 80601
- 200 E. Colfax Ave, RM 136 Denver, CO 80203
Aurora Police Department Headquarters
- 15001 E Alameda pkwy Aurora CO 80012
Stephen Ruger, City Clerk’s Office
- 1515 E. Alameda Pkwy 1st floor Aurora CO 80012
Phil Weiser, Office of the Attorney General Colorado Department of Law
- Ralph L Carr Judicial Building 1300 Broadway 10th Floor Denver CO 80203
Sign, share and repeat. Our voice is needed in numbers. Petitions are the way Elijah’s case resurfaced in the first place.
4.Spread His Name
Be loud about bringing justice to Elijah McClain. Post his pictures and name on your social media. Make your friends and family aware of his death and encourage them to act.
5.Spread the Names of the Officers
It is one thing to say “Justice for Elijah” and another to say “Arrest Nathan Woodard, Jason Rosenblatt, Randy Roedema, Matthew Green and Sgt. Dale Leonard.” Do not hide them behind “the officers who killed Elijah.” They don’t deserve to go unnamed for their crime. In your emails, calls and posts, call them out.
Featured Image by @wereleavingearly on Instagram
Permission for use granted