Gazpacho and a BLTA (bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado) doesn’t sound like just soup and a sandwich, but in essence that’s all it is. It’s a soup and sandwich pairing that you can enjoy all year round, though – without having to adjust your air-conditioner in a sweat after you’re done eating!
These recipes are also great to entertain or to take out on a picnic, since the soup can be made days in advance and the sandwich is mostly just assembly work.
Give gazpacho a go and see if cold soup is your thing – there’s no better time than summer!
- 10 small plum tomatoes
- 2 slicing cucumbers
- 3 red bell peppers
- 2 large red onions
- 46 oz of tomato juice
- ½ cup of white wine vinegar
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- To garnish: balsamic vinegar, scallions/chives, sour cream
- Chop tomatoes, cucumbers, red bell peppers and onions into about one inch cubes.
- Blend each ingredient separately in the food processor until runny, but not completely pureed (or desired consistency).
- Blend garlic cloves with vinegar until pureed.
- In a large bowl mix blended tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions, tomato juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Chill mixture in refrigerator for fer few hours, or for up to 2-3 days before serving.
- When serving, top with minced scallions or chives, sour cream, and balsamic vinegar.
BLTA with Lemon Herb Butter
- 2 pounds of bacon
- 1 stick of butter
- 5 sprigs of lemon thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 head of romaine lettuce
- 4 large tomatoes (beefsteak or otherwise)
- 3 avocados
- Good white bread
- Zest of one lemon
- Take butter out of fridge and let it reach room temperature, which will take about 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Place bacon in one layer on a large sheet pan (use two pans if necessary). Cook in preheated oven for about 13-15 minutes, or until bacon is crunchy.
- Finely mince thyme and rosemary and add to butter, with lemon zest, when butter is soft.
- Cut tomatoes into thick slices (about 2 per sandwich).
- Peel and slice avocados. You should get 4-5 slices per half avocado.
- Either slice romaine lettuce or fold each piece in half to fit sandwich.
- Toast bread.
- Spread a generous amount of butter on both sides of bread.
- Place bacon, avocado, tomato, and lettuce on sandwich, put the top on and enjoy!
With this recipe, you can enjoy soup and sandwiches all year round!
All images courtesy of Josh Guirguis
Sign Up For Our Newsletter