Let’s face it: eating out can put a dent in your wallet. Homemade food, however, allows you to spend less while feeling like a true chef. Sushi seems extremely complicated to make, but is actually very doable! Furthermore, sushi can help you cultivate a balanced diet through its variety of ingredients. Learn how to make a perfect sushi roll and impress everyone you know at your next dinner party. Or, try impressing your S.O. and have a sushi date night.
General Sushi Ingredients:
- Seaweed Mat
- 2 cups Sushi Rice
- 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Green Onions
- Yellow Tail
Optional Extra Items:
- Spicy Sauce
- Tempura Crunch
- soy sauce
- Sesame Seeds
1. Wash your rice: this is one of the most tedious steps, but it is not difficult and makes your rice clean. Run water over rice and pour it out at least five times or until water is clear.
2. Cook rice. While you do this, heat up a small bowl of sugar, salt, and rice vinegar until sugar is dissolved. After rice is cooked, this will get mixed in.
3. Lay out seaweed wrap- note that the seaweed you should be using is not the seaweed snacks, but large square seaweed mats. They can be found in any asian market and most grocery stores.
4. Lay rice out over seaweed- tip: use mayonnaise on your hands so that the rice doesn’t stick.
5. Chop whichever ingredients you want and lay them in one line over rice. Don’t make your ingredients cover too much width, because it will make it very difficult to create the roll.
6. Suggestions: crunchy tuna and avocado, spicy shrimp and cucumber, spicy crunchy salmon roll.
7. Wrap rice over ingredients and close roll tightly. This step may take lots of practice, but you’ll get there eventually!
8. Finally, cut your roll into as many pieces as you’d like. (typically 6-8 work)
Optional: serve with wasabi, soy sauce, and ginger!
Free to use, no attribution required.
Title Image Source
Sign Up For Our Newsletter