Get ready to try a variation of the steak and lobster surf ‘n turf we all love. We’re substituting octopus for lobster to keep things fresh (and help your wallet) and adding a side of refreshing summer corn salad to keep you cool after a long day of grilling.
But don’t think a grill is necessary! We’ll actually be making our surf ‘n turf inside, so it’s good any time of the year. To top it all off – and we aren’t speaking figuratively here – is an easy to make chimichurri sauce. It adds beautiful color and flavor to both the steak and octopus, and you can chill it before serving if you like the contrast of a hot steak drizzled with cold chimichurri! After seeing how easy and affordable it is to make surf and turf at home, you’ll never rely on a restaurant again.
Yield: About 1 cup
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1 small red onion
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tbsp. oregano (fresh preferable)
- ½ – 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¾ tsp. salt
- Add all ingredients to food processor.
- Blend until pureed.
- Add additional salt, to taste.
- Store in fridge.
Summer Corn Salad
- 2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp. basil, minced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ tsp. salt
- In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, lime juice, basil, and salt.
- Let the basil sit in the vinaigrette before adding it to the corn to help the basil flavor permeate.
- In a large bowl add corn, red onion, and grape tomatoes.
- Add vinaigrette to corn.
- Toss to combine.
Seared Steak and Octopus
- 2 filet mignon steaks (preferably), about 4 oz. each
- 4 octopus tentacles
- Coat steaks and octopus with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Add steaks to pan first (to avoid having your steaks taste fishy), you should hear a sizzling noise when the steak touches the oil. If not, wait an additional minute for the oil to heat.
- Cook steaks for 3 min per side to sear.
- Lower heat to medium or medium-low and cook for an additional 2 minutes per side.
- Check if your steaks are done.
- Wipe pan clean from any steak debris and return heat to medium-high.
- Add octopus, cooking for 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve immediately with cold chimichurri.
Title and Body Images by Josh Guirguis
Sign Up For Our Newsletter