Summer weather doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a warm salad, and there’s no excuse for never having tried beets. This salad uses warm roasted beets soaked in vinaigrette, and pairs it with arugula, goat cheese, and walnuts for a variety of textures and flavors.
To go with the salad are cilantro shrimp tacos with Sriracha lime rice, a spicy but refreshing main course (if you consider this salad a side) that is great to have your guests DIY at a party, or easy to bring along in a few containers for a picnic.
Warm Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
- 8 medium-sized beets
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon mint, minced
- 5 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 6 ounces of baby arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Wrap each beet individually in foil and place on sheet pan.
- Put beets into preheated oven and cook for for 40-45 minutes.
- Let beets cool for 5-10 minutes before peeling.
- Whisk together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, mint and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cut beets in half, then each half into 4 pieces. Pour a little of the vinaigrette onto each bit while they are still warm.
- Put arugula into a large bowl. Top with beets, vinaigrette, goat cheese and walnuts and combine.
Cilantro Shrimp Tacos with Sriracha-Lime Rice
- 2 pounds of raw shrimp, deveined
- 1 ½ cup of white rice
- 12-18 hard taco shells
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro, minced
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 lime, zested
- ¼ to ½ cup of lemon juice (by preference)
- ½ teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ stick of butter
- Small container of sour cream
- 2 avocados
- ½ small red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon Cilantro Shrimp
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic to pan and cook for no longer than 1 minute.
- Add shrimp to pan in a single layer, so that each shrimp can be easily flipped over. Cook for about 2 minutes per side, until shrimp are pink but not completely curled, seasoning each side with salt and pepper.
- With the heat off, add cilantro, lemon zest, juice, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Sriracha Lime Rice
- Combine 1½ cups white rice with 3 cups water in medium sized sauce pan over high heat. Bring to boil and lower heat to low.
- Allow to simmer for 12-15 minutes, until water is evaporated and rice is dry.
- Add 1 tsp. Sriracha sauce and lime zest.
- Take meat out of ripe avocados and crush with a fork. Mix avocado with juice of one lemon to prevent browning.
- Fill taco shells with rice, shrimp, and top with guacamole and sour cream.
With this tasty dish, you’re sure to learn to love beets!
All images courtesy of Josh Guirguis
Sign Up For Our Newsletter