What foods do you think of when you think of summer? You probably don’t think about soup, but that might be about to change. This week at NYMM we’re making roasted corn soup, and a bunch of toppings to go with it.
The slow-cooked comforting corn flavor pairs perfectly with toppings like fresh parsley, creamy and tangy blue cheese, and crunchy corn and paprika. Aside from the pop of color and texture, the toppings are easy to make, and are a great way to give your friends or family a fun meal.
I know it’s hot out, but don’t miss the opportunity to make this while the corn (and life in general) is still sweet. Corn is still in season, so get cooking. Bon appetit!
Roasted Corn Soup with Toppings Galore
- 4 ears of corn, kernels cut from the cob and the cob saved
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 medium to large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 cups of chicken stock (or vegetable if preferred)
- ¾ cup of heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Husk the corn, cut kernels from the cob, and save the cobs for the stock.
- Put the corn kernels on a large sheet pan (saving about ¼ cup for toppings) and add olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix to combine and spread kernels evenly on the pan.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the corn begins to brown.
- In a large pot, add butter, onion, potatoes and garlic. Sautée the vegetables for 6-7 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Add the saved corn cobs, chicken stock, and paprika.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat, allowing it to simmer for 10-12 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Throw out the cobs and transfer the soup mixture to a food processor or blender. Pulse to desired consistency.
- Return the soup to the pan and add cream.
Seared Corn, Paprika, Cumin and Thyme Topping
- ¼ cup of corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of thyme, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- In a small pan, add butter, thyme, paprika, and cumin. Cook over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the corn is crunchy and browned.
Rosemary Sour Cream and Scallion Topping
- ½ cup of sour cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons of rosemary, minced
- ¼ cup of scallions, thinly sliced
Olive Oil, Pumpkin Seeds, and Blue Cheese Topping
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
- ¼ cup of crumbled blue cheese (goat cheese and blue cheese also work well)
- 2 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup of pumpkin seeds, toasted in a dry pan for 3-4 minutes on medium heat
Tomato and Avocado Salsa Topping
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of parsley, minced
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Help us continue our mission of empowering women while shedding light on the effects of inequality.