This week at NYMM we’re changing up our tacos. We’re ditching meat and rice, but keeping it meaty and starchy with a combination of portobello mushrooms and smoked paprika potatoes.
To go with the tacos, we’re also making a fresh and cold avocado cream. It’s alright if you haven’t heard of that before (we didn’t either) because it’ll be another go-to avocado recipe in your stockpile before too long.
Portobello Mushroom and Potato Tacos
- 2 ripe avocados
- 6 taco shells
- ¼ cup of greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 lbs of small red potatoes (or your favorite kind)
- 2 Portobello mushroom caps
- Salt and pepper
- Place the potatoes in a medium-sized pot and cover them with water. Place the pot over high heat and bring it to a boil. When the water boils, reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until a knife can be easily inserted into the potatoes.
- In another medium sized-pot, add olive oil, onions, and mushrooms, and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes into small, bite-size pieces and add them with the mushrooms.
- Add salt, pepper, and smoked paprika and cover pot with lid.
- Allow the potatoes and mushrooms to cook for an additional 7-10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Slice the avocados in half and remove the seeds. Spoon the flesh into a bowl and add the greek yogurt.
- Mash the avocado flesh and yogurt together with a fork.
- Add lemon juice, coriander, chopped cilantro, salt, and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!
Photos by Josh Guirguis
Sign Up For Our Newsletter